If I can only get to Texas once per year it will always be for the World Championship Goat Cook Off held in Brady.
McCulloch County is one of the top producing regions in USA for sheep and goat and the area is rife with men who slaughter and and smoke the animals in backyards, front yards and anywhere else you can park a cooker.
Brady, Texas is the heart of the state and you don’t have to travel very far to get to the precise center as it’s in Mercury, just a stone’s throw up the road.
I flew from New Orleans to Austin, rented a car and drove the remaining 2.5 hours with a song in my heart, Lefty Frizzell for the record but it could’ve been anybody-I was joyous to be back home.
After a quick stop in Lampasas to visit Storm’s Drive-In, I immediately put the hammer back down.
I was hungry for goat.
I wrote a full report on the event here
But when I went to press I did not have the full list of winners.
Here are the champions of the 2015 Brady Texas World Goat Cook Off
1. Los Quatro Locos-Gabe Moreno, Post
2. Las Familias II, Frank Galindo and Daniel Barrera, Brady
3. Goat Head and Get U Sum, Scott Evans, Brady
4. The Ponderoasters, Willie Jacoby, Dallas
5. West Central Wireless, Felix Ramirez, Brady
6. Draggin Ass Cookers, T. J. Wagner, Brady
7. Mi Ranchito, Chris Solis, Brady
8. Haselhoff Farms, Gary Haselhoff, Farwell
9. West Central Wireless, Felix Ramirez, Brady
10. Just Smoke It-West Texas, Archie Crossland, Odessa
and in the lesser category (wild boar)
1. Big O Cookers, Keith Oestriech, Belton
2. Los Goatitos, J. Randel Dissler, Del Rio
3. Git Ya Some A This, Steve Smart, Brady
Of course Waco Boys brought home the Hospitality Award. They fed 3k people during the festival.